Tuesday, August 19, 2008

SpongeBob...just a nickname?

It's occured to us all before...why'd they name their kid SpongeBob? That's like naming me HumanAlice, and I sure as heck ain't going by such a name. Really!

I was just thinkin'...maybe it's a nickname?

On the episode Patrick SmartPants, Patrick reffered to SpongeBob as 'Robert'. It was probably just because he thought calling people by their longer, given names sounded intellectual. Still, surely his best friend ever would know his first name, so maybe he is named Robert.

Then, on Blackjack, he had an uncle who called him 'Little Bobby.' Now, I guess Bobby could be a nickname for SpongeBob as well as Robert, but it's interesting.

I seem to recall one episode, he said, "As long as these pants are square, and this sponge is Bob, I will not let you down!!" Most likely, though, he was just being weird. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the subject.

Every single driver's license he's had said "SpongeBob SquarePants" on it. I guess I'm just babbling. It's an interesting thought, but canonically, his given name is SpongeBob until said otherwise.

No comments: