Friday, September 19, 2008

The problem with the new episodes

Boy, where to start? First off, I'd like to note that I'm not the sort who will criticize something simply because it's a new episode. I don't care if it's season one or season one hundred; if it's funny and well-written, I like it. Some of my favorite episodes have been after the movie, but most of them are not funny and well-written. I think I'll review each season seperately.

Post-movie differences
The movie, being, ya know, the movie, had cleaner line art, good framerate, fancy camera tricks, more shading, and brighter colors. That was fine. It was kind of nice. Problem being, even with those aspects aside, it looked like they were trying out a totally new art style, particularly on Spongey's face. I can't even place my finger on exactly what it is, but his face tended to look ugly and ill-proportioned, and his facial expressions often seemed out there. I mean, sure, "out there" is fine, but I mean too out there.

Season 4
The writing also changed. SpongeBob would sometimes be his normal self; other times, they'd greatly exaggerate certain aspects of his character, until he was a caffeine-fueled two-year-old; other times he'd be very aggressive, hanging onto his sanity by a thread, and incredibly easy to send into a rampage. The writers could've easily used Patrick for parts like this, I think.
Aside from this, Sandy became much stupider, but they put more emphasis on the fact that she was smart. It's like a Mary-Sue fan fic; they talk about these great traits the character has, but they show us nothing.

Aside from this, the humor just lost it's edge.


Season 5
Season 5 fixed many problems with the art, and some with the writing. They got SpongeBob out-of-character less often, but when they did, they sure did. Aside from this, they fleshed out SpongeBob's evident but ignored clean-freak side, and brought back some of his geekier traits which made him so dang endearing. Not to say it was perfect; season 4 seemed like they had no ideas for storylines, but season 5 made it seem like they had plenty of ideas, but couldn't work them properly. Also, unfortunately, season 5's idea of visual humor was drawing Plankton with a bottom.
Speaking of Plankton, as of one season 4 episode his marriage to Karen has been a bad one. Later episodes show this, and what was previously a nice, evil couple has become hideously depressing. Sandy was, for the most part, back in character. SpongeBob was, except for being overly whiny on occasion, and being too close to Squidward.

Season 6
So far, season 6 has been a mixture of seasons 4 and 5. Some episodes are great, some...not so much. For humor, season 6 has relied on rear ends less, but has made up for it with...disgusting injuries.
I'll explain: I'm totally fine with it if Bugs gives Daffy dynamite, the dynamite blows up, and the last we see of Daffy is an angel. That's fine.
I do, however, have something against seeing Plankton's innards, Squid's graphic toe injuries, and an entire episode dedicated to SpongeBob's swelling, infected, pus-oozing splinter!
It's not all like this, but a good deal of it has been. So far, it's not been great, but it has had some decent episodes, and a few outright great episodes.


Keep in mind, though I've listed every flaw in these three seasons, there are episodes in all of them that are shining exceptions. And besides, the first three seasons weren't flawless; they had things like...well...I know they had...hm.... Okay, so they were flawless.
Nickelodeon has confirmed a season 7. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but I'm gonna watch all of it. All of it!

Technically, Who Bob, What Pants? is a part of season 6, but I have a good feeling about it. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic? ...Nah. :)

1 comment:

CJ said...

Pretty good summary about how I feel too.... just must better vocalized.

The pacing of many of the season 4+ eps seems "rushed" if that makes sense, the voicing a bit more canned/forced, and the jokes a bit more gruesome at times.

Course this is coming from someone 31 and an avid watcher... maybe they are appealing to the younger crowds? :)